Thursday, October 23, 2008

Weighing in on the Pumpkins

I went to Wal-Mart the other day and got 30 pumpkins for the art class in Statesville. They were 78 cents a pound. Normally I would have gone to a farmer, but time is of the essence. Wal-mart is a half-mile from my house.

(I also got some fake pumpkins so we would have some promotional items to keep to promote the 2012 event. Besides, we learned in 2004 that you need a second set of pumpkins. Otherwise, you're throwing away your photo op!)

I needed to weigh the pumpkins to make sure they were "fair and balanced" projectiles. So I had two buggies at the scales. Most wound up being 3 pounds. I found two that were 3 1/4 and two more that were 3 1/2.

Quite a few people commented about all the pies I was going to be making.

No, I've never made a pumpkin pie in my life. Learned last night from a gardening friend that they're really easy to do - and that you need to bake them 1 - 1/2 hours. I might try my hand at one in November, after the Statesville Pumpkin Fest is over.

No comments: